Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Do You Mindfulness? by Nomar Knight

 



Do You Mindfulness? 

By Nomar Knight


     When I was a kid, I was often told to mind my own business. Now, as an adult, I find myself learning about a life-changing tool called mindfulness. Essentially, mindfulness involves focusing on the present moment. Given that I grew up in bustling New York City, this task presents a unique challenge for me. However, I believe that practicing mindfulness can transform me into a more relaxed and productive version of myself.

    As someone who struggles with anxiety, I prefer to avoid complicated techniques. That's why I appreciate that mindfulness encompasses a variety of practices, including meditation, yoga, and simply paying attention to my breathing and body sensations. Taking moments to slow down and shut out the distractions of the outside world is crucial for my well-being.

    Over the years, I've noticed a pattern of negative thoughts that only exacerbate my anxiety. Focusing on any one thing for an extended period of time is a rare feat for me. With mindfulness, I hope to improve my ability to concentrate on tasks over time. Being self-aware of my reactions and behaviors will also be crucial in managing my emotions. Mindfulness promises to increase emotional regulation, which would benefit me greatly as a junior high school teacher. Though I typically maintain a cool demeanor, there are moments when my inner suspense writer wants to take over and handle situations in an action movie kind of way. Luckily, I've learned to leave those impulses to my fictional writing and rely on my charming personality in real life.



© Copyright Nomar Knight 2023. All rights reserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment