Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Embrace Madness

Today I felt pass over me
A breath of wind from the wings of madness.
~Charles Baudelaire


Ah, what to write today? Most writers go through periods where the blank page haunts them. They dare to dream but when they awaken; they find their adventures fluttered away, drawn in by the thief of dreams. Dry spells turn into droughts, which in turn become neurotic fuel which causes the artists to question their talents. They examine their lives to see where they went wrong. They cry out, “Surely the gods are mistaken. Please don’t abandon your favorite child. Shine your light on me and let me be whole again!”

Well, I’m here to suggest you turn insanity into something manageable. Take the wings of madness and make them yours. Think outside yourself. Convince your psyche that although the thief of dreams stole your opportunity at creating amazing prose, you will not abandon your ability to see into the world of madness. Dream awake and discover the wonder that is nirvana. Spite the gods of boredom and complacency and search for the fountain of perfect prose, regardless of what your conscience tells you. Become the rebel and soon enough you will attract a world filled with imaginary characters begging to whisper their secrets.

Of course, if all else fails, while you drink a glass of alcohol before bedtime, think about what scares you most and tell yourself you will remember the nightly visions because you welcome fear. Yell at the gods and say, “Go ahead, scare me! I dare you!”

I wish you creepy dreams and days filled with terror filled prose.

Nomar Knight

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I'm trying, as I speak, to think of something to post on my blog *mind blanks*--maybe I need to drink something and find a dark room ;-) --Great advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you the best Koreen. May the god of muses favor you. :-)

    ReplyDelete