Sunday, October 10, 2010

It Lives: A Knight Chills review of [Rec] 2


This is the true sequel to the American version known as QUARENTINE and the actual sequel to 2007 movie [Rec]. Filmed entirely in Spanish, “[Rec] 2 picks up 15 minutes from where we left off, taking us back into the quarantined apartment building where a terrifying virus has run rampant, turning the occupants into mindlessly violent, raging beasts. A heavily armed SWAT team and a mysterious government official are sent in to assess and attempt to neutralize the situation.”


This horror writer was impressed with how the directors, Jaume Balagueró and Paco Plaza played with the camera angles, utilizing a dual cam control for parts of some scenes, giving the audience a video game feel to it. They did a solid job playing with dark and light contrast, thereby maintaining, if not increasing the scare factor of the movie.


I grinned at the new plot element introduced in this movie. People expecting mindless zombie type creatures will be in for a pleasant surprise. Once you discover [Rec] 2’s premise, you’ll understand the utmost importance that whatever is inside the building, remain there.


Putting aside what I know about the movie’s main premise, which I do not wish to reveal at this time, the movie delivered shocking sequences, keeping me on the edge of my seat throughout much of the viewing. If your heart can handle a chilling thrill ride, then this movie will do the trick. But if you are weak of heart, afraid of the dark, and/or take offense to the mistreatment of minors, then stay home.


As for me, I’m hoping there’s another installment that’s nothing at all like the American version of QUARENTINE 2 because I feel that version should be labeled [Rec] 3. In other words, English speaking audiences were robbed of seeing what happens to the reporter. Thank goodness this movie, [Rec] 2, keeps the story in a logical continuity.


So while you’re viewing this horror gem, watch it like I did, during daylight hours so you won’t have to immediately deal with the prospect of something evil lurking in the dark. For the record, I love watching my horror at night in the dark, but sometimes things happen beyond my control. ;-)


See you on the dark side.


Nomar Knight


Knight Chills gives this movie 4 ½ KILLS out of a possible 5.


No comments:

Post a Comment