Sunday, September 11, 2011

Listen to the Voices

Marilyn K. Yee, The New York Times



Listen to the Voices
By Nomar Knight

Back in the 90’s, I used to work for an Armored Truck company which focused on payroll distribution.  One day one of the routes was short a man, so my boss thought since I was a supervisor, it’d be good to have me report back on any irregularities, if any, on the run. 
I recalled driving the armored van and as I obeyed the crew's suggestion to park the vehicle on the sidewalk, against the building, a tingling sensation began to stir in my gut.  While I waited for the crew to go upstairs to cash checks for a company, I watched the people as they went about their business.  I recalled visiting the World Trade Center’s observation deck and being awed by how vehicles looked like insects. 
Being at ground level was supposed to make me feel safer.  Unfortunately, the tingling sensation got worse.  I was tempted to leave the van and break out in a full out sprint.  I didn’t know what caused me to feel so anxious, but all I knew was that I needed to get my crew out of there. 
As soon as I spotted the crew, a sense of relief began to calm me.  Imagine my surprise when the same guard who suggested I park next to the building’s wall, announced for me to wait while they fetched their lunch.  At that moment, I became a tyrant and screamed obscenities.  The men stood in shock while I unleashed a barrage of cusses, reminding them of my rank of supervisor.  I ordered them back in the truck and announced that lunch would be acquired on the Westside. 
I couldn’t tell them why I needed to get away from the place.  I just knew that if we hadn’t gotten out of there, something terrible was going to happen. 
As soon as I turned onto the Westside Highway, a loud explosion got our attention.  While we waited at a red light, hoards of fire trucks and police vehicles raced back in the direction of the World Trade Center. 
A few minutes later, my supervisor radioed, asking with urgency in his voice, about our status.  It wasn’t until a few days later, when I passed by the scene, that I realized the crater the bomb made was where I had parked the armored van.
I’m guessing my guardian angel did his best to get my attention.  Perhaps all my crew’s angels must’ve been shouting at me to get out of there.  All I know is that since then, I’ve learned to listen to my gut. 
Believe me when I say that it pays to listen to the voices.  In that case, I didn’t hear them, but I sure felt them. 
I’m only sorry that my prediction of an air assault on New York came true a few years later.  Though I must admit, I never dreamed terrorists would use commercial airliners like bombs.
I look forward to the day when we can put a stop to the madness.

Catch you on the dark side.

Nomar Knight


The picture was originally published in a New York Time's Report by Andrew Jacobs. Here's the link to that article. Here


© Copyright Nomar Knight 2011. All rights reserved. A Knight Chills Presentation. 

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes we must listen to the voices, Nomar. You were indeed fortunate.

    As for the insanity: it must stop!

    Blaze

    ReplyDelete